By: Jake Ruttenbur
Whether you are snowed in, or having a lazy weekend, ‘tis the season to enjoy Christmas movies with friends and family. A Christmas movie is the best way to end the day this time of year. Since Thanksgiving has recently ended, Christmas movies have been shown more and more.
Everybody has their preference of movies, and The Squire twitter followers have voted for their top five favorite holiday films. They rated A Christmas Story first, Elf second, Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas third, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation fourth, and Home Alone fifth.
- A Christmas Story– A story of a kid who all he wants for Christmas is a Red Ryder BB gun. All his family says is that he will shoot his eye out. The most memorable quote from this movie is “you’ll shoot your eye out kid.”
- Elf– A story of an elf who used to be raised by elves in the North Pole. He is adopted by a family in New York and is amazed in the fact of how normal people spend their lives.
- Dr. Suess’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas– This is a story of a creature that lives on a mountain and tries to ruin Christmas for an entire town. He goes to the town and tries to steal all the Christmas presents and decorations in n effort to ruin Christmas.
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation– a story of a family called the Griswold’s and their struggle to have a Christmas party.
- Home Alone– a story of a boy who is accidently left behind when his parents are on a Christmas trip to Paris.
The Squire discussed Christmas movies with staff members, Emily Rutsky, Brittany Arp, and advisor, Ms. Howe, and asked them to share what their favorite Christmas movies are. Ms. Howe: My favorite Christmas movie would probably be a tie between Elf and A Christmas Story because everything about Elf makes me laugh, and A Christmas Movie brings nostalgic Christmas joy.
Emily Rutsky: Mine would be Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas, but not the animated one. I enjoy that movie because I can relate to that movie.
Brittany Arp: Mine would be Elf because I also like drenching my spaghetti in maple syrup.
My personal favorite is National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. My Christmas tradition is always on Christmas Eve with my family when we sit down and watch Christmas movies together this year, take The Squire’s suggestion and watch one of the movies from our list to start a new tradition with your own family. Enjoy your Christmas break and the Squire Staff would like to wish you a merry Christmas.